Female Fitness

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jordan Meyer interview


After six months of training Jordan Meyer competed and won the Teen division in her first show. That in itself is impressive. But what she has done since then may be more impressive, including winning her class at 2010's Jr. USA's. With her beauty, physique, and attitude, Jordan is someone who is going to be a huge name in the fitness industry for a long time.





Q: First, Jordan, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You’re very welcome. Thanks for sending me the interview. I love your site and feel honored to be involved with such a wonderful group of people.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself?
A: I sure can. I’m from Montgomery, Texas- born and raised. I have two wonderful, supportive parents and two sisters- one older, one younger. Right now I live in Oklahoma where I’m attending the University of Oklahoma pursing a degree in Business Marketing with an interest in advertising. I’m actually considering trying to major in Nutrition also. I’m a junior right now and have one more year to go. I love being active whether that means going to the gym or out to ride my horse. I hate sitting around and waiting for things to happen. I’m really a “do it yourself” girl. I’m a Christian and try really hard to let me light shine. I guess you could say “I’m just a girl, who wants to change the world”.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Oh yes, playing sports is a huge thing in my family. I don’t know what I would have done growing up if I wasn’t involved in sports. My Grandfather played football at the University of Oklahoma, My Mother was a Tennis pro and my Father ran track at the University of Texas. My first love was soccer. I started playing when I was 5 and didn’t hang up my cleets until age 19. I played my first year of college, but had to quit because of a hip-flexor tear. It was that or get surgery- I opted to not go under the knife. In addition to soccer growing up I competed in year round swimming, track, and cheerleading.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A; The injury I received playing soccer and my boyfriend. I had always been active growing up and couldn’t stand the idea of not doing some type of physical activity after Soccer. My boyfriend was and still is an avid lifter, he currently competes in the NANBF as an all-natural bodybuilder. I started going to the gym and just poked around at weights, I went mainly to spend time with him. After a couple weeks of just going through the motions I found a beginner workout in Muscle and Fitness magazine and decide to give weights a try. I started seeing results very fast and made my 2009 New Year’s resolution to compete in a figure competition, which I did 6 months later in July of 2009 at the Branch Warren Classic. I placed first in Figure Teen and third in the women’s Figure Class A


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, but only because I had the help of my boyfriend who had been lifting regularly for years. I saw results very fast, it was pretty crazy and I loved it. *I can’t reiterate the importance of proper form enough though* I probably would have ended up hurting myself and therefore not seeing ANY results without help in the beginning. Sometimes it’s hard to swallow your pride and ask, but its well worth it in the end.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: It was my New Year’s resolution for 2009 and I’m super competitive. I couldn’t wait to have a sport to compete in after no longer being able to compete in soccer.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Yes, well… most of them did, such as my nuclear family, but some of my extended family didn’t really understand it and therefore had an adverse reaction to competing in general. I’ve noticed that a lot of people that don’t compete seem to frown upon it because they don’t understand the entire concept. I try my best to educate people about the sport of Figure. There is so much more that goes into competing than just a swim-suit, spray tan and high heels.


Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: No, it was not what I expected at all. I had never been to a show and really had no idea to expect. The whole spray tanning was for sure an interesting experience, wasn’t really expecting that… All you ladies know what I am talking about lol That’s all I’m going to say about that ;)

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*Aug 28, 2010: NPC Jr. USA’s - Placing: 1st Figure Class A( 2nd National Level Show at age 20)
*Aug 14, 2010: NPC Europa Super Show - Placing: 10th – Conditioning was WAY off… sadly came in way too soft.
*Sep 19, 2009: NPC Team Universe 2009 - Placing: 13(1st National Level Show at age 19 after lifting weights for only 9 months)
*Sep 12, 2009: NPC Total Package - Placing: 1st Figure Class A, Figure Overall Winner
*Aug 01, 2009: NPC 2009 Capitol of Texas Roundup – Placing: 1st Teen Figure, 1st Teen Bikini, 1st Bikini Class A, 2nd Figure Class A
*Jul 18, 2009: NPC 2009 Texas State Naturals – Placing: 1st Teen Figure, 2nd Figure Class A
*Jul 11, 2009: NPC The Branch Warren Classic - Placing: 1st Teen Figure, 3rd Figure Class A


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Naturally, my legs would be my best body part. I’ve always had very well developed quads, hamstrings and calves. It’s a lot of genetics involved, but soccer certainly helped. I’m very proud of the development I made on my back in the last year though.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I really like to train shoulders. I enjoy Arnold press SS with front raises or drop sets of lateral raises.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: During contest prep I eat high protein, high veggies and moderate carbs. I’m not carb sensitive, so I am allowed to have a rather generous amount. I usually workout 4 or 5 times a week during contest prep with an hour of cardio every morning. The cardio varies depending on where I am in my diet. During offseason I go to the gym 4-3 times a week and try to do 20 mins of cardio post workout. The past month I have been running 2 miles every Monday-Wednesday-Friday before class for fun.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction More positive or negative?
A: More positive, most people wanted to know what my diet was like and my training regimen.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I get asked a lot if I have to starve myself to look that way lol. Most people can’t wrap their mind around the fact that I actually eat 6-7 meals a day during contest prep.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: One big misconception that I’ve noticed is some women think that all women who compete want to be manly and bulky. Being muscular and fit is very feminine. I wish most girls realized that adding a protein supplement to your diet doesn’t automatically make you bulk up, it takes HARD work to put on muscle- just drinking a shake won’t do it for you. Also that competing isn’t just a hobby, that it’s a life style and not for the weak hearted.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best is heavy lifting and the worst is an hour of medium intensity cardio during contest prep. I’d much rather get out and do sprints, but want to burn as little muscle as possible in the process.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I really like Mary Lado. She was one of the first figure competitors I had heard about. I really like her naturally athletic looking physique. I am also a big fan of Pauline Nordin. She is so hard core.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Sure do. Raising Canes Box combo with an extra canes sauce and a sweet tea with a Braums chocolate mix with extra reeeces for dessert.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: To hire a trainer until she has the basics down .Proper form is key to having a successful weight lifting experience. It may cost you a little in the beginning, but way better to be safe than sorry when your health is on the line.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: I hope it is. I don’t see a lot of women lifting weights in my gym. There are one or two girls who actually lift decent weight at my gym which is located on campus. We have a lot of “cardio bunnies” here… I’m hoping to start a club on campus for girls who are interested in getting in better shape and even possibly competing in figure.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: If I’m not a class, work, or the gym, I’m out riding my horse Eldrick. I ride at least three times a week. It’s an excellent workout. I love animals and volunteer at the Norman Animal Shelter often. I got my Dog Chloe there over a year ago, best decision ever. I love spending time with family and go back home to Texas as often as I can. I love to read in my spare time, which sadly isn’t much lately. I also really enjoy scrap booking, knitting, pretty much anything artistic.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jordan Meyer.
A: I wake up and go to the gym before class. I try to run 2 miles and may do weights then- if not I go back later. After them gym I head to class, I’m taking 15 hours this semester. After class I may go to work if I have a demo setup, I am a demo representative for Allmax Nutrition responsible for the Oklahoma City area. When I am done with work I usually take my dog, Chloe and head out to the barn to ride my horse Eldrick. I ride for 2-3 hours at a time, it’s the best workout. When I’m finished riding I head back to the gym if I didn’t complete my workout in the morning. I usually spend the evenings working on homework and hanging out with my boyfriend. I live a pretty simple life, but I really love it.

Q: Describe Jordan Meyer in five words.
A: Driven- Christian-Charismatic-Confident- Goofball

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I competed successfully in my first figure competition at age 19 after only lifting weights for 6 months.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I’m thinking about competing later in the year, perhaps at Nationals in November, but no set plans as of yet.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Yes. I just started a fanpage here on facebook where fitness enthusiast and competitors alike can keep up with what I’m doing. I love to help others with fitness, so feel free to like the page and drop me a line if you’d like to chat. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordan-Meyer/138816202809187

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you?
A: Yes, I am currently looking for sponsors. Tamee Marie- Go Figure Suits is currently sponsoring me and helping me cover suit cost this competition season, but I could still use some help covering everything else. Competing is expensive, especially on a college student budget. They can contact me via email at Jordan.Meyer@OU.edu


Q: Jordan, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Just would like that thank you again for such a wonderful opportunity. I have been a fan of your page for quite some time and really appreciate all you do to get the word out for women in the fitness industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by
James William at 2600 Degrees