Female Fitness

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sarah Goodlaxson Interview


When I first heard Sarah Goodlaxson was going to fight Jessica Philippus I was both excited and unhappy. Excited because they are both such talented fighters and great people. Unhappy because someone has to win, and you hate to see either of them lose. But neither of them lost. Jessica won the fight, but Sarah also won. She showed she is not one dimensional. She put the "striker only" label to rest. She fought a great round one before getting caught in a D'arce choke in round two. This loss will not be a setback for her because she is a winner. Sarah was one of my first fighter interviews and someone I think the world of her. She is destined for big things in this sport.





Q: First, Sarah I want to thank you for taking the time to do another interview.
A: Thank you again, Jason! It’s always a pleasure to talk with you and it’s always an honor to be interviewed by you!

Q: For those who missed your first interview can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well, I live in Michigan. I train with H8 Squad- Dom O’Grady’s team. I will be attending Eastern Michigan University for Exercise Science (very excited about that!). Here’s something I haven’t shared in the past- I’m very musically inclined. I play the piano, violin, and grew up singing!

Q: Congrats on your fight vs Jessica Philippus. Until you got caught I thought you were doing really well.
A: Thank you! I am very proud of that first round! Haha! I really have worked so hard on my ground and was glad I got to show a little of that during the fight. I’ve always been called ‘just a striker’ and I feel like it’s the death of you if you’re one-dimensional so I’m growing and learning more everyday.

Q: I know you two have been trying to set that fight up for a while. Any reason?
A: I always wanted the fight because Jessica wasn’t too far away- I lived in Illinois and she lived in Missouri so it wasn’t a huge distance to travel like other fights. Unfortunately (and I don’t know if she will share this with you in her interview) there was some bad blood in the beginning between us due to my ex-trainer being VERY rude to her. Thankfully we have been able to start building a relationship throughout this past year and have become friends.


Q: What did you know about Jessica as far as her style and what her strengths are?
A: Of course I knew that Jessica was very strong on the ground, her wrestling is superb and she has great throws! I never expected anything but the best from her!

Q: Did she fight as you expected?
A: Yes! Except for that dang choke, of course ;-) I knew that she would be working hard on her stand up and that she would let loose a little more than in past fights. The very beginning of the 2nd round she threw a front kick and I remember thinking, “Hey, that was awesome!” haha! I was lucky enough to be able to start learning Judo when I moved to Michigan and that came in handy during the fight. First round she went for the throw, I was able to see her hips start to turn, tried to drop with her, and was able to take her back. It was something that’s happened to me during training and I’ve been in that position before so that was awesome to me.

Q: You had a good first round. Where you confident after that round?
A: It’s funny you ask that because one of the first things I said in between rounds was, “I won that round, right?” I just wanted to make sure! haha With Jessica, you can never slow down, can’t make a mistake because she will catch it and capitalize and I knew it was going to be a fight to the end so I wouldn’t say I was “confident” I was just ready for another hard fought round.

Q: How was she able to get that D'arce choke in round 2?
A: I came in trying to control her along the cage, working for the takedown. The number one rule for that takedown was to control the wrist, and I didn’t- that gave her the perfect set up. I felt it coming on and couldn’t pull out, so I decided to try and sweep her- we ended in a weird position at first, but I was able to move to where she had half-butterfly. My right arm was trapped so I couldn’t use that to try and pass and as soon as I did try, she was able to secure full guard. My corner yelled, “posture your hips!” and for some reason, I thought he meant to stand up! That just made the choke tighter for her! My mistake, her capitalization!


Q: What did you think of Jessica overall as a fighter?
A: I think nothing but the best of Jessica. I respect her fully and think that she has earned and worked hard for all of her successes! She has amazing fundamentals and progresses in leaps and bounds with every single fight- and that’s exactly what you’re supposed to do!

Q: What can you learn from this fight?
A: Well one of the first things I did was text my coach Dom O’Grady and my BJJ coach Raymond Tremmell to talk about fixing the things I did wrong. This was my first fight with a new team so everything about it was different. The training, the schedule, the atmosphere… next time my corner and I will have even better communication and we will grow and learn to work together more. You should never go anywhere but up!

Q: Jessica is obviously a skilled fighter and also a very nice person. Does that at all make losing a little easier?
A: Loosing is never easy. What did make this loss an “okay” loss for me is the fact that I am proud of the work I did during it. I was calm before and during, I took my time on the ground, and I did things I’ve never done before. That’s what makes it easier for me.
Speaking of Jessica as a nice person- she is DEFINITELY a nice person! Even after we decided on a date for our fight we were still texting each other and chatting all the time (something I was made to quit doing haha). And, we’ve been texting and trying to set up training dates since the fight! She’s an awesome chick!


Q: DO you think the layoff between fights had any affect?
A: Such a long time off is always going to have some sort of effect one way or another. I expected to be a lot more nervous than I was and to freak out a lot more than I did, though! I wanted to make sure I was calm before so I could make sure I was calm in the cage.

Q: What did you think of the promoters of the show?
A: Benjamin Nogueras was one of the best promoters, and individuals for that matter, that I have come across in this sport so far. I have so much respect for him and the show that he produces. He was nothing but professional, kind, and helpful the whole time I was there. If you get the chance to fight for him you should consider yourself lucky!

Q: How long after a fight do you like to take off before getting back into training hard?
A: Usually I take a little rest but I’m most likely fighting again this coming weekend here in Michigan for Ron DeLeon ( NOTE: This fight is no longer scheduled)! I know it’s quick and not the norm but I guess having the opportunity to fight twice after having such a long layoff, I jumped at the opportunity.

Q: How important is support from family and friends when getting ready to fight?
A: Well, I’m not around my family much anymore since I’ve moved but I do get to talk to them via text and on the phone. My friends up here are priceless and my support system. My team is amazing (and hilarious). I get the privilege of training with Kelly Warren on a daily basis and she’s always giving me pointers. I train with my boyfriend Mitch Filer and he is the one that gets to be brutally honest with me at the end of the day. My coach, Dom is a very straight-forward kind of guy. If you’re doing something half-way or not very good, you’re going to be able to look at him and tell you need to shape up!

Q: I often ask what is the biggest misconception people have about female fighters. This time I will ask, what is the biggest misconception people have about Sarah Goodlaxson?
A: I’m not sure! I really don’t know what people think about me! haha

Q: Finish this sentence. In five years Sarah Goodlaxson will be__ ?
A: Fighting professionally, graduated from college, and be VERY HAPPY!

Q: Anybody you want to thank for helping you get ready for the fight and supporting you?
A: I want to thank everyone that sent any kind of positive word my way- from a simple “Good luck” to the kind texts and messages I received. I’m thankful for my team(s) that are so willing to help me out all the time! Thanks to all my sponsors that continue to stick by me win or lose: Tussle Fight Gear, FightChix, Vegas Chompers Mouthguards, Bad Reputation, Rudog Nutrition, Catfight Gear, and Fight Banner.

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: Well next weekend, like I said before. I heard I’m supposed to be fighting a girl named Sandy Thomas for Ron DeLeon’s promotion in Lansing, MI. I still haven’t gotten a 100% go on it, but I hope it goes through! (NOTE: Fight is no longer scheduled)

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Tussle Fight Gear, FightChix, Vegas Chompers Mouthguards, Bad Reputation, Rudog Nutrition, Catfight Gear, and Fight Banner- Thank you!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: No, I am not currently looking for sponsors :-)


Q: Sarah, again I want to thank you. You were one of the first fighters I ever interviewed, and I think so highly of you. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks again Jason! It’s always a pleasure! Thanks again to everyone that’s wished me good luck, and everyone that has (in my friend Sarah's words ) ZAAAPed positive vibes my way! The next one will surely be a victory! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by
James William at 2600 Degrees