Female Fitness

Friday, September 24, 2010

Sarah McLeod Column

I was with Marcus Hicks/ Team Denarius/Total Package Sports Management from January 2010- September2010, for 9 months. During this time, I had 4 amateur MMA fights and 2 kickboxing fights. Marcus insisted that I post his phone number for ticket sales but I never received any amount of money. It wasn’t a big deal to me, but he got more sheisty over time. I had a lot of things going on in my life and I was determined to do as many fights as I could. Marcus was the only person who would let me do that with such little experience because he needed the money for himself, so it worked for me at the time. Marcus collected a training fee of 80$ per month for 9 months. I trained twice a week at different gyms, everywhere from North Vancouver to Surrey. Did he pocket the whole amount from each fighter? Yeah, probably, haha.

Team Denarius had many sponsors and Marcus took the opportunity to ask at least one confirmed sponsor for help towards his own rent. He was denied.

In July, he received $1000+clothing from a sponsor who made it clear that her primary interest was me. In August, he received $700+clothing from a new sponsor. Clothing was split between teammates, but the money was pocketed by Marcus.

I don’t get along with my family and they don’t support me in my MMA career. They come to watch my fights for entertainment but they always pressure me to quit. They tell me that I won’t be able to make a living and that I am an angry person. Marcus saw this as a golden opportunity to scam. He found a 5-day spiritual retreat on a quiet island with great food. He said he was going to pay for me to go to this island because he wanted me to get away and relax before my big fight in Ohio, Sept 18. It sounded like something my parents would request hoping to change my mind about fighting, but Marcus swore on his daughters’ life that they knew nothing about it. He pleaded to me that he would do anything for me, if I could do the trip for him. Though suspicious of my parents’ involvement, I did it to make him happy. For 5 days I worked out every day, beachfront, with a pool, in the wilderness, around great people, sunny weather, awesome food, massages, spiritual shiet; and I checked out of my suite only to see my family name on the receipt. Basically, Marcus Hicks’ word is just a piece of poo and I wanted nothing to do with him, but it was already too late.

As I was away on this trip, my belongings were in the process of being shipped from my apartment into the “team house” with Marcus. Our agreement was that I leave my job to train fulltime because he had arrangements for sponsors to cover costs of basic living. Because my parents misinterpret my love for MMA as an anger issue, Marcus gained their trust by convincing me to go to the spiritual retreat, so that afterwards he could collect money from them behind my back.

I lived at the “team house” for 16 days, Sept 1-Sept 16. Marcus told me to ask him for money for whatever I needed. He insisted to me that it is sponsor money, so it is mine too and I should never hesitate to ask. I have a hard time asking for things, especially money, so I was stubborn to ask for anything at all. I’m very low-maintenance and I’m happy with a roof, food and a gym pass. Problems started when my gym was closed for 2-weeks of maintenance on Sept 7. I collected maybe 15$ total from Marcus for 2 gym drop-ins and I had to ask more than once before he would remember.

We got in an argument one day after I questioned if he was in contact with my parents. He yelled out of control at me, asking how I could dare to question his loyalty. He told me he is the only one who cares about me and the only one who looks out for me, so I shouldn’t question him. The next day, I found out that he was collecting money from my family, but I didn’t bother to bring it up. We hardly talked after that and he started to avoid me in the house.

I was very focused on my fight in Ohio Sept 18 and I didn’t let any of these circumstances bother me. A couple weeks prior, Marcus told me that he would book the flight/hotel and they would reimburse him at the event. I doubted that Marcus could afford it but he kept assuring me the fight was on. I continuously told Marcus how excited I was and I practiced cutting weight the week before. I had friends in Ohio waiting to hear my flight times, so I kept pushing for the information. Many days went by and he told me that he was still waiting for a response.

Eventually, he told me an elaborate lie of how my bloodwork was outdated and that the promoter was looking for a loophole because they really wanted me to fight. As my manager, I thought he should have been up to date with my bloodwork, so I contacted the promoter. She forwarded me a 5-page text of excuses that Marcus sent to her days earlier, to pull me out of the fight. He said he had a lot of things going on in his life, his partner forgot to book the flight, his friends brother died, his management company isn’t usually so unprofessional, and Sarah was really looking forward to the fight so please keep her in mind for next time.

Even when I gave Marcus the chance to redeem himself with the truth, he insisted that he had proof in a text message that says my bloodwork is outdated. Obviously, I did not care to see that phony message when I was speaking directly to the promoter. When I caught Marcus in yet another lie, he sent me a million delusional text messages and some crap about loyalty.

I know the reason for cancelling my fight; Marcus had plans to corner a professional fighter in Edmonton that same weekend, because he needed the money. Marcus avoided me for a couple days before he left me at the house with no key, no food, no cash, and no notice that he was even leaving; so I packed my stuff and moved out.

A team works together but there is some real sheisty business that Marcus is involved in. He uses people to pay for his rent, his fast-food, date nights with the girlfriend, and his endless tubs of ice cream! He used my parents for money behind my back so that he could keep it for himself. He neglected me as a fighter; he has threatened my life for talking to certain people in the MMA industry; he has owed me $140 for the past 2 months (just remembered that as I was typing!!!!! Haha sheisty guy!); And he lies out of his ass.

I announced that I was no longer associated with Marcus Hicks, and I was hoping to leave him in peace. Marcus has made a lot of tearful accusations on facebook, so it’s important to me that I share the truth with my friends and fans. I don’t play games and I will always stand up for myself.

In response to me telling the truth about him, Marcus texted many threatening messages to me, including: “think b4 ur actions Sarah. People will really get hurt if they hear and see everything I have.” Well, the only person who is going to get hurt is Marcus when he steps in the cage against someone. For me, I can’t wait for my next fight; I will be a whole new fighter. MMA is my greatest passion in life and I hope to be a positive example for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by
James William at 2600 Degrees