Female Fitness

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cydney Walker Interview








Very happy to post this interview with Cydney Walker. Only competed twice and not since 2008, but Cydney is the kind of person I enjoy doing interviews with. Someone who is dedicated, whether it be to the gym, her work, her book, training, school, all those things. Cydney is an interesting woman, and I mean interesting in a good way, a very good way. Now let's hope we see her on stage again.



Q: First, Cydney, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thanks Jason for the opportunity for the interview.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Dallas, Tx. Attending college at TWU in Denton and finished graduate school at Texas A & M Kingsville.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Before the gym, I was a model growing up. Since I was naturally skinny and that seemed like a place for me. After graduating high school I decided I was tired of being skinny and wanted muscular curves.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I went to the gym because I had gained 10 lbs in a couple of weeks when I started dating a boyfriend at the time. I didn't like the way the extra weight looked on me. So to the gym I went and totally fell in love with training.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training was something I picked up very easily, which is what led me to a career as a trainer and dietitian. But I didn't see results for a long time, really long time. I started training when I was 19 and I would say the results didn't show up till after my mid-thirties. LOL! I always looked fit, but not like a bodybuilder, which was the look I wanted.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I decided to compete to get over a work related harassment case I filed. It was a torturous ordeal and I needed something to bring me back to me. So I started prepping for the Heart of Texas in 2007.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: At the time, my family was not that into it. My guy and partner in the gym was
supportive as he helped me mentally focused on the weights while I did my cardio and
diet. My family wasn't sure what to think about it.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing was interesting to say the least. I learned that you can never be prepared enough on your first showing. That is just a learning curve show and expect to have your eyes opened from the experience.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Heart of Texas 2007 7th place and 2008 2nd place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I personally feel my back was my best part. But over the past two years, I would say that my legs have taken that title. I have worked hard on bringing in more development in my quads, so now they are my best feature.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Right now, I would say incline bench press. Since I have conquered hitting 135 lbs for reps without a spotter, that is all about ego and me being a bad ass in the gym.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for
contest prep?
A: My normal training is 4 days a week with weights. This past spring I had a groin injury that I am still working through. So now I do corrective exercises for my legs, back and abs to prevent further injury. Cardio changes in prep mode to 1 hour 4 days a week with one day of outdoor training. Depending on my conditioning I may increase my cardio to 90 minutes total, if necessary. I am a vegetarian and most people can't conceive of me doing a prep without egg whites galore. But I gradually take my calories down and eliminate certain higher calorie/fat foods as the weeks pass. May be by week 8 or 6 I start doing the egg whites for dinner then finally for lunch and breakfast the last two weeks of prep.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most common reaction - "You look awesome, you are sure to win". I don't hear the negative. I haven't had anyone honest enough to say it directly to me.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How do you get abs like that." As if there is a magic secret.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: It is a process, a long drawn out process. And if you are going to succeed at this, you need to stick to your plan.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best part of competing - coming in conditioned the way you like. Worst part - time consuming. All the training is very time consuming.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Natalie Benson is a favorite of mine. Love her X factor physique. Perfect shoulders to match her quads X.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Alcoholic beverages. Personally, my favorite single malt scotch.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of
advice you would most want to give her?
A: Come in shape the way you want to and not worry about the judges.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women training in the gym as hard as men?
A: I would say yes and no. I still see women training with light weights and believing the myth they will become too muscular if they lift heavy. I am living proof that will not happen.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to build and restore furniture. I am a total HGTV junkie.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Cydney Walker.
A: Wake up, fix protein drink, train a client, come back get little person ready for
school. Then back out the door to see a nutrition client, attend necessary meetings, afternoon on the phone with doctor offices or company's about corporate wellness programs. Early evening training a client or take little one to karate. In there I get my training in and eat!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am very open-minded about other ways of life. I am not caught up on living the way we are socialized in this country. I guess that comes with being a vegetarian. I have a great understanding of others cultures and religions. I don't think that there is one way to be. And we should be more mindful of others, there's nothing wrong with it.

Q: Describe Cydney Walker in five words.
A: Gregarious, Perfectionist, Passionate, Loving and Stubborn.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: No set plans for competing. I was preparing for a show this year, but I am making changes with my business and going back to school to pursue my PhD in possibly biochemistry. Going to start slow since it has been over 3 years since I have been in school. And I am not used to studying anymore.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I offer mobile personal training and nutrition services.
Also in the spring I am hoping to have my book ready - Alternative Names for Pork. It is geared towards vegetarians and others who abstain from consuming pork.

27. Are you looking for sponsors?
A: Not currently looking for a sponsor. Too busy writing my book and getting ready for school in the fall.

Q: Cydney, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks Jason for this opportunity. Enlightening questions about who competitors are as individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by
James William at 2600 Degrees